⦁ Routing Information Protocol (RIP) can connect with all the networking systems.
⦁ RIP is commonly used in round-robin systems to use load balancing between the same metric routes.
⦁ 15 hops are the maximum length of the network system.
⦁ Both the Internet Protocol (IP) and Internetwork Packet Exchange (IPX) are to be supported in the above protocol.
⦁ RIP will be a very slower connection network and more congested compared to other networks.
⦁ If you directly entering Internet Protocol (IP) which are connected to the router ports, this is the basic or the standard method for configuring a router
⦁ Routers and end devices are connecting using RIP.
Configure Routing Information Protocol
Basic diagram of Configure Routing Information Protocol
⦁ The above diagram shows the basic topological diagram of configuring the RIP.
⦁ The above figure shows R1, R2, R3 are routers for basic configuration.
⦁ All three routers are connected with three personal computers.
⦁ IP addresses and Interfaces are also shown in the above figure.
⦁ Fa0/0, S0/0/1 these two are interfaces of the RIP configuration.
⦁ 192.168.2.0/24, 192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.4.0/24, are IP address of the RIP configuration.
⦁ The basic subnet mask of the RIP configuration is 255.255.255.0
Steps to Configure Route Information Protocol (RIP)
- Enable the Device
- In RIP configuration first, switch on the dynamic routing protocol and enter the router command using global configuration mode.
Example. Device> enable
- Configure the routes to enter the hostname and configuration mode has shown on the above addresses. Configure the console of the PC.
- Enter the Synchronous command to console for Switch on/Login
- The next step is to Switch off or Disable the Domain Name System(DNS)
- Configure the Interfaces on the Routers(R1, R2, R3) with the corresponding Internet Protocol (IP) from the above address for the Routing Information Protocol (RIP)
- Verify Internet Protocol (IP) and Interface Addressing and check whether the Interface is active or not.
- Configure the three Personal Computer (PC) PC1, PC2 and PC3 with the Internet Protocol (IP) and gateways from the addresses under the Topology diagram of Routing Information Protocol (RIP).
- Testing with the PC configuration by ping message to set the default gateway from the Personal Computer.
- In RIP configuration you are in routing configuration mode then it will directly be connected to the network by entering the RIP network address only.
- Configure with neighbor IP Address.
- In RIP updates are sent and receive at every 30 seconds so you may wait for displaying the debugging information on the screen.
Download How to Configure Routing Information Protocol (RIP) in pdf – Click here