This article describes and explains about the VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol) Pruning. Before discussing the topic some of the key terms which are necessary in this section are briefly described for the awareness of the ones who read the article as a new one.
VLAN is the short form of Virtual Local Area Network. It is used in large companies for their growth which will control the traffic in the network.
So by using this, it will release the stress and strain of the network administrator. VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network) will communicate to devices in the LAN (Local Area Network) by grouping them together. They are flexible and can fit in any situation also.
VTP is the VLAN Trunking Protocol. One of the protocols defined by Cisco. VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol) will carry information from VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network) to the switches with the help of the VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol) domain.
We all know that VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol) is used for communicating the VLAN information between the switches which has the same domain.
One of the features used by the Cisco is the VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol) Pruning. The VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol) pruning is used only when the updating of the VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network) is not required. That means from the trunk link which is set down if the information in the traffic of VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network) not wanted to update the feature named VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol) pruning is used.
If the traffic of VLAN is required then dynamically VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network) will be added to the trunk link by the VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol).
One of the advantages of VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol) pruning is it will reduce the unnecessary flooded traffic and increases the bandwidth used. VTP pruning will send the information only to those trunk links which are required.
- Per-VLAN Spanning Tree (PVST), Per-VLAN Spanning Tree Plus (PVST+)
- What Is The Maximum Supported Throughput Of A Cat6 Cable?
- What is the Aim of an ARP Spoofing Attack?
There are three main steps used to enable the VTP pruning.
- The first step to the VLAN menu needs to get accessed. The action needs to perform is from the main menu select [V].
- The next step needs to access the mode screen of the VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol) pruning. Means elect [F] of VTP pruning mode.
- Last is to VTP pruning need to be enabled. From the selection prompt enter enable. The configuration menu of VLAN will reappear.