What is Computer Network and Its Types
Nowadays requirements of the computers are almost everywhere like Schools, Colleges, hospitals, offices, and homes, and therefore there is need to share the data, information, resources, and programs among various computers. To know more about What is Computer Network and Its Types, keep reading this article till the end.
With the modernization of data communication facilities, the communication between computer has increased and thus it has extended the power of computer beyond the computer room. Nowadays by using this facility, a user sitting at one place can communicate anywhere in the world.
Definition- Computer Networking is a group of two or more computer or nodes connected together to share the data, information, and resources to each other.
What is Network- Network is just a connection between two or more computers or node, there are no such means that data, information, and resources are sharing it is just a connection.
There many components of computer networking that make networking possible some of these are the following:
- The sender Computer (Source) which creates the message to be transmitted.
- A Communication channel or medium that carries the message.
- The receiver computer(sink) which receives a message.
Communication protocols enable us to communicate with other systems. The data communication system tells the computer system and devices as to how exactly data is to be transmitted from one place to the other place.
The procedure of data transformation in the form of software is commonly known as a protocol.
The protocols perform the following functions for the efficient and error-free transmission of data and information.
- Data Sequencing- A long transmitted message is broken into smaller packets or unit of fixed size for error-free data transmission.
- Data Routing- Data routing is the process of finding the most efficient route between source and destination before sending the data.
- Flow Control- All machines have not the same capability in terms of speed. Hence the flow control regulates the process of sending data between the fast sender and slow receiver.
- Error Control- Error detection and error recovery are one of the main function of the communication system, It ensures that the data are transmitted without any error.
Note: The internet itself can be considered as a computer network.
- It takes very less time to transfer the information from one person to another person even the person is too far from each other.
- It is very cost-effective as compared to Telephone network.
- Networking enables to send information at any time anywhere which is very helpful to send any information in emergency cases.
- All types of data like text, audio, video, pictures, and graphics can be transmitted through it.
- It allows multiple users to work on a single project
- It allows us to store all data in a centralized location.
- We can track and monitor the resources in the network.
What Elements Makes Networking Possible?
The elements that make networking possible are the following.
- Sender computer.
- Sender equipment (Modem).
- Communication channel (telephone cables).
- Receiver equipment (modem).
- Receiver Computer.
Types of networking
Note:-These are based on area or distance.
- LAN – Local Area Network
- MAN – Metropolitan Area Network
- WAN – Wide Area Network
- CAN – Campus Area Network
- SAN – Storage Area Network
- PAN Personal Area Network
LAN Stand for Local Area Network is a type of network which confined to a localized area such as an office, Building, or a factory.
CAN stand for Campus Area Network is a type of network which spread over one Building of a campus of to the other building of the campus.
MAN Stands for Metropolitan Area Network is a type of network that links computer facilities within a city.
WAN Stands for Wide Area Network is a type of network which spread over large distances or from one country to the other countries. It can even include a group of LANs connected together.
SAN Stands for Storage Area Network is a type of network based on storage that allows you to store data or information in the network.
PAN Stands for Personal Area Network this type of network is used locally or person to person. For example Bluetooth transfer.
Download What is Computer Network and Its Types in PDF
To Download What is Computer Network and Its Types in PDF- Click here