What paths traffic should take can find out by using a routing protocol such as IS-IS, OSPF, EIGRP, and/ or BGP, and this can be called as Dynamic routing. Dynamic routing is the best routing technique, because, it changes the information in the routing table dynamically according to any changes that happened in the current network. When a change has happened in a network, the network sends a message to the router that contains the message that a change has occurred, recalculate the routes and then sent this message as a new routing update message. According to this message, the routing table is updated correspondingly. Another name of dynamic routing is adaptive routing.
In simple words, we can say dynamic routing is a networking technique. Optimal data routing can be achieved by using his networking protocol. The routers can select the path by using this routing. This selection of path is based on the changes in the realtime logical network. In this routing system, there are some popular routings.
- Routing information protocol(shortly write as RIP).
- Open shortest path first(shortly write as OSPF)
Advantages of Dynamic Over Static
- First, one is mainly focused or works with advertisements
- Don’t want to know the destination network
- Topology changes updates dynamically
- Reduced the administrative works
- This routing is used in a large organization
- Neighbor routers are built the routing table automatically because they exchange routing information.
We can call this dynamic routing in a different way, which is called Adaptive Routing. In this process, the router can send the data or give the destination of the communication circuit within a system. Many routes as possible to remain valid in response to the change because of dynamic routing, the dynamic routing allows this. Dynamic routing protocols have an important role in today’s network, because,
we commonly use this protocol for the exchange of information. One of the important things is that the dynamic routing makes the adjustment of the routes with respect to the current state of the route. And these adjustments are reflected in the routing table also the important thing is that this modification is done automatically in the routing table. This behavior is the advantage of this dynamic protocol and hence widely used.
Some of the features of Dynamic Protocols are under:
- If a router sees any change in the topology then the router should advertise it to all other outside routers.
- Each and every router should have the same dynamic running protocol in order to exchange all routers.
Types of Dynamic Routing
- The most important is the routing protocol is the timeline.
- Secondly routing information protocols(shortly write as RIP).
- The third and important point is that Interior Gateway Protocols(shortly wite as IRGP).
- The fourth one is called Open Shortest Path First( shortly wite as OSPF).
- Exterior Gateway Protocols(EGP) is the most important type in dynamic routing.
- One of the best types of dynamic routing is the Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol(EIGRS).
- The next one is the Border Gateway Protocol(shortly write as BGP).
- Intermediate System-to-Intermediate System(IS-IS) is another type.
- One of the important types is Distance Vector Routing Protocols.
- And the most important and last one is Link-State Routing Protocols.
One of the dynamic protocol called OSPF can determine the best routes within an enterprise by a typical network. The best exit points to the rest of the internet can be determined by using one of the protocols called BGP(Border Gateway Protocol). These all together can be combined with reasonable default routes by using the static routing. There is no different purpose in dynamic routing.
All routing protocols have the same purpose. The main purpose of this routing system is to know more about remote networks. If there is any change in topology they quickly adopt this network. These routing protocols are mainly used in larger networks.
The main purpose of using these networks to case the administrative and operational overhead of using only static routes. Now we can identify that a network uses both routing protocol and static routing. And also in most of the networks, a single dynamic routing protocol is used. But also there are some special cases where different parts of the network can use different routing protocols.
Download What is Dynamic Routing, Different Type of Dynamic Routing in pdf – Click here