Traditional Wired networks connection have been in use for decades now. Wired network evolution has taken years and recently they have developed exponentially. They have been made reliable, fast and secure over the years. To know more about Wired Network Connection Limitations keep reading this article till the end.
The limitations of wired connections or networks are as follows:
- There is an inherent lack of Mobility. To exchange information or access the network, the devices have to connect to the network via some physical medium such as cable or wire or optical fiber. This reduces mobility as the devices could be taken as far as the physical length of the medium permits. The devices are also limited by the physical settings in which they are located.
- Wired networks require a lot of resources such as cables, switch, hub, routers, network cards, etc. These resources increase the cost of installing and maintaining such networks. There is an apparent loss in such a setup. When such a network needs to be moved then the whole setup has to be disassembled and re-installed at another place. This may cause damages, inflated costs and setup problems.
- Installing new components (or its expansion) in a wired network can have its own headaches. Major modifications or implementation of architectural changes may cause similar problems. New hardware, cables, network cards, etc are needed. The system may need to be re-configured accordingly. All these things cause time loss, the expenditure of more money on additional installation and maintenance. Besides, such tasks could interrupt the work of the people connected on a wireless network.
- Physical damage could also occur to a wired network connection. The wires could be damaged due to various reasons, such as rodents, short circuits, everyday cleaning, etc. The wires may be exposed due to the mentioned reasons. This may cause them to trip thereby causing damage to the cable. This may interrupt the services on such networks. Thus, there is a constant need to inspect and replace damaged wires before they could become a potential threat to the integrity of the network.
- What is Campus Area Network(CAN) and How does it Work
- Types of Computer Networks on the Basis of Area
- Sharing of files is generally less convenient due to decreased mobility caused in a wired network and especially if there is a frequent need to move the devices over some distances. Although the wired network may provide a very fast and reliable transfer of data, the physical connection is still proving problematic in some cases.
- For public use, wired connections are not much favorable. But in fixed setups or stationary work, wired networks have been used conventionally. For instance, in an office setup.
- Cables are the major factor that inflates the costs of a wired network. Installing cables, especially in multi-storeyed buildings with many rooms, is a challenging and time-consuming task. Depending on the scale of the installation, a group of professionals may be required to install the cables. Round the year maintenance of such cables is also an additional overhead. When we compare such a thing to the wireless networks, we find that they are relatively cheaper to install and maintain.
- Wired network connections hurt personnel mobility. The personnel or employees may not be able to access all devices at all places freely due to caused by wired connections. Also, some people may need wireless services to perform their work. So, a wired network may decrease employee mobility and limit the flexibility of work.
Download Wired Network Connection Limitations in pdf – Click here